Is a power delivery revolution finally at hand?
You may not have been paying all that much attention, but in your time you’ve probably been witness to the rise and fall of dozens of different battery charging standards. From the days when being well-prepared meant keeping a drawer full of gangly wires like a spilled box of black linguine, to the hardy four or five USB types still standing today, we’re closer than we’ve ever been to a universal standard. Power Delivery, or USB PD is a new standard capable of supplying five to ten times the wattage of conventional USB, enabling unprecedentedly fast charging across all devices.
Whether it is a revolutionary leap like USB PD or a logical extension, check out how technology continues to change.
The revolutionary benefits of a universal standard are obvious: less e-waste in landfills, less inconvenience for end users, and better compatibility across devices. So what separates USB power delivery from previous claimants to the throne?
- Power delivery brings 100 watt strength to an 18 watt world: USB PD provides unmatched charging efficiency. It’s rated for up to 100 watts—no other widely-used standard (Quick Charge, VOOC etc.) cracks 36 watts, with most occupying the 15 to 18 range. The higher wattage is intended for powering heavier devices like hard drives, laptops, and printers—most current smartphone devices will only request 10 to 18 watts from a PD block. It’s very likely that future models will up these caps in response to the availability of power delivery, leading to next-level charging speed for handheld devices as well.
- Power delivery doesn’t discriminate between devices: PD is backward compatible with devices designed for other USB standards, like 2.0, 3.0, and type-C. It intelligently delivers an appropriate amount of power based on the architecture of the device to which it is connected.
- Power delivery is a two-way street: One of the most exciting developments in recent USB technology is two-way charging. This means that, for example, your tablet could be used to power a portable hard drive via the charge port. This functionality unlocks bold new possibilities for consumers and manufacturers alike.
RAVPower: The Industry Pioneer in Power Delivery Technology
Since 2011, we have established ourselves as a leader in the field of charging technology. Our innovations in wireless charging, power banks and solar batteries have quickly become industry standard, and we are now the first to offer a complete line of power delivery chargers, including power banks, wall chargers, desk chargers, and car chargers.
RAVPower’s PD line offers the following unique benefits:
- Never find yourself without power with complete compatibility for laptops and other USB-powered devices
- No matter if it’s a phone or something that needs more ‘oomph’, enjoy speeds 2.5X faster than standard 5V/1A chargers
- Supports 100V-240V for hassle-free use no matter where in the world you plug in
Power Delivery’s Time is Now
Given its early adoption by giants like Google, and the positive response of consumers enjoying faster and more convenient charging than ever before, it’s clear that power delivery and PD charger products have finally arrived. It offers all of the benefits of conventional USB charging with exponentially greater muscle, backward compatibility, and two-way charging. Meanwhile, a worldwide reduction in the manufacturing of redundant cables will make Mother Earth happy too.
Whether you’re a tech aficionado or just too busy to wait out one more agonizingly slow charging cycle, it’s a guarantee power delivery will have a positive impact on your relationship with the devices that keep you in touch with the world. It’s the perfect time to join the revolution.